Rick Santorum Appalled That Rick Santorum Popular in State That Recognizes Gay Marriage

Laurence Brown | Wednesday, January 04, 2012 | | | | | Best Blogger Tips

DES MOINES, IA - After emerging as one of the frontrunners in last night's caucus in Iowa, social conservative Republican Rick Santorum is utterly dismayed that he is popular in the Hawkeye State - one of only six states to recognize same-sex marriage.

While Santorum's late surge comes as a timely boost to the former Pennsylvania senator's low key presidential candidacy, his staunch opposition to the practice of same-sex marriage - famously ratified by Iowa lawmakers in 2009 - makes it "incredibly hard to enjoy tonight's success".

"While I am truly grateful to the thousands who turned out to vote, I must make clear my dissatisfaction at being associated with the morally perverse state of Iowa," said Santorum in his victory speech.  "I feel like I've been violated."

"Once again, it is nice to get my campaign off to a good start," he continued. "I just wish it didn't have to be in a state that is okay with letting two dudes live the life of holy matrimony. Bring on New Hampshire - another place where the courts don't understand the true meaning of marriage."

Santorum, who fought a close battle with Mitt Romney in last night's caucus, moved to distance himself from the state of Iowa this morning, insisting that "from here, the campaign moves on."

"What can I say? Winning in a state like Texas wouldn't leave me feeling dirty like tonight. I really can't wait to get around to the more traditional places on this journey."

Meanwhile, Mr Santorum would not be drawn on rumors that his campaign team has shelved plans to spend big in the state of New York later this year.  

Image credit: Gage Skidmore. Creative commons.

ShareThis