Blagojevich 'Deeply Sorry' for Failing to Cover Up Huge Trail of Corruption

Laurence Brown | Thursday, December 08, 2011 | | | | Best Blogger Tips

CHICAGO, IL - Immediately after being sentenced to 14 years in jail yesterday, disgraced former Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich admitted deep sorrow at failing to cover up the huge trail of corruption for which he was declared guilty of orchestrating.

Mr Blagojevich, who was found guilty of, among other things, attempting to sell the senate seat previously held by President Barack Obama, cut a distraught figure, as the presiding judge read aloud the charges against the 54-year-old - charges that would have been completely nullified had the former Governor just been better at covering his tracks.

"My life is ruined," said a crestfallen Mr Blagojevich, following the verdict. "Today I apologize to my family, to my former staff and to the people of Illinois. I should never have committed such terrible crimes without first organizing a list of false alibis or opting to conduct cloak and dagger conversations in a discrete backroom somewhere."

"I take full responsibility for my actions," he continued. "I just wish I'd been better at concealing them."

Mr Blagojevich is expected to begin his sentence on February 16, 2012, giving him two agonizing months to reflect on the "appalling negligence" with which he carried out his crimes.

Image credit: fair use.

ShareThis